Yep, I did put all of those words in one title. Yes, it is all true too.
I just found out that this road-racing prepped 2001 Ford Focus is up for sale. The surprising part is that I also know the person who is selling it!
The owner is Don Wooten, who was my rally driving instructor when I went up to DirtFish Rally School. I first met Don when I was racing in Solo II autocross, and he was using this same car. It pulls at the racer heart-strings to see it go.
Don’s a really great driver, and he always takes good care of his cars, so I wanted to write a quick feature for him to help get the word out.
It always sucks to find out that a local racer has to sell his beloved ride. However, that is always a new buyer’s gain, as that means is that the car is always excellently prepped and has a good build history. (I learned that lesson when buying Kyoko.)
The crazy part about this car, is that it is street-legal! Can someone say “Race car for the road?!” If I had the money, I would buy this and turn it into my road racing car.
Some words from Don about the car- “This car was a Ford fleet vehicle used as part of a PR campaign to promote the Focus and the parts available from Ford Racing called “Revolt, Build, Rise”. A person (the guy I bought it from) was chosen to receive the car and $10,000 in parts from the Ford Racing Catalog. Once built the car did a few magazine spreads and some shows for Ford.”
“After fulfilling his obligation to Ford he took the car to the next level to turn it into a Time Attack car. He did a few of the Southern California Redline Time Attack Events. With the help of Focus Sport (now FS Werks) they got 247 whp on a dyno. That is before some of the improvements I made.“- Don
You can tell just by the stats sheet alone that a rediculous amount of work went into this Focus. Much respect is to be had for the amount of care and effort that went into turning this into a beast!
Under the hood:
- 2.0 Zetec Power Works Supercharger, roots type, air to water intercooled. Produced by Mahle with help from Ford.
- CFM Throttle Body (65mm)
- Custom Heat Shield/Cold Air Intake
- Ford Racing Zetec Head (huge power gains)
- Ford Racing Adjustable Cam Pulleys
- New Gates Racing Timing Belt (blue) Did a new tensioner and idler pulley as well.
- Massive Lightweight Crank Pulley
- AEM Alternator Underdrive/Lightweight Pulley
- Ford Racing Header (same as SVT Focus)
- EGR is capped and system removed
- SVT Off Road Pipe (no catalytic converter)
- Borla SVT Exhaust (sounds very good)
- Urethane hangers lock the system in place
- Custom Oil Cooler with thermostat controlled fan (all AN lines)
- PWR Aluminum Radiator (engine never gets hot)
- New hoses.
- New Gates Water Pump Jay Racing Aluminum Coolant Line New Starter with Heat Shield Wrap
- Custom Power Steering Line (The stock line ran over the top of the header)
- Massive MSD Coil Upgrade Kit
- Optima D51 Yellow Top Battery relocated to interior
- Upgraded all power and ground cables Custom PCV oil separator
- VF Engineering Side Motor Mounts
- Massive Lower Motor Mount
- Torsen Differential
- LUK Gold Clutch
- Ford Synthetic Transmission Fluid
- All New Ford Hardware
- Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
- Complete Urethane Bushing Kit (All of them!)
- Leo Capaldi Racing Front Camber Plates
- Focus Sport Upper Strut Brace (Custom painted to match the car)
- Focus Sport Front Lower Subframe Brace
- New Front Control Arms with custom mounts for Porsche 993 brake cooling fins (fins included)
- SPC Rear Camber Arms HTP Rear Toe Arms Reinforced
- Rear Lower Control Arms (to prevent failure from larger sway bar)
- Eibach Front Sway Bar Steeda Rear Sway Bar (Biggest they make. I can include a smaller Eibach bar.) 17″
- Ford Racing Wheels
- Custom Race Alignment
- 2005 Focus ST Front Conversion (Larger than stock. Conversion includes the 2005 knuckles and control arms.)
- SVT Focus Rear Disk Conversion (replaced stock rear drums)
- Hawk HP+ Pads Stainless Steel Lines
- Motul 600 Fluid (changed often)
- Gutted and Painted White (Only thing left is the dash. No stereo or speakers.)
- Lightened Doors and Hatch Full Cage (6 point with door bars)
- Corbeau Seat (With double locking slider. Sits low.
- Can include passenger seat and mount for a few more bucks)
- Schroth 6 Point Harness Fire Suppression System (under hood and interior)
- Ford Racing Short Shifter
- RS Focus Shift Knob
- RS Focus E-brake Handle
- OMP Steering Wheel (300mm) (stock wheel with airbag included upon request)
- Snap Off Steering Wheel Quick Release
- Custom Gauges (oil pressure, water temp, boost)
- Ford Racing Large Tach (with shift light)
- Momo Pedal Covers SFI
- Padding Custom Cargo Net
- Custom Paint (4 different Focus colors)
- Custom Vinyl Graphics
- European Focus Front Bumper
- European Focus Rear Bumper
- Carbon Fiber Hood (Painted)
- Custom Front Grill (Stock grill has lights that block air through the radiator)
- Custom LED Front Running/Turn Signal Lights (To replace lights from stock grill)
- Front and Rear Tow Hooks
The car is up for sale locally in the Washington area for $9000, which is an awesome deal for a race car. Check out his listing here, if you’re interested and would like to contact Don.