I initially bought a Miata, because I wanted to have fun. I’d always wanted a Miata. The lightweight chassis, and high-revving engine was always an appeal to me. Everyone I’ve seen has always had fun in one.
So this February, I bought one. It was a very happy day! I’d finally purchased one of the cars that’s on my ‘list’, as one car I had to have before I died.
Since then, I haven’t really had much fun with this car. It’s not fun. Frankly, owning this Miata has sucked! It’s just more of a burden, than the escape that I had planned.
Why though? Since I’ve bought the car, here is a brief summary of my Miata mis-adventures.
- ECU caught on fire, and I found that I have a unique California specific ECU, which I couldn’t switch out easily – ECU Rebuild
- Water pump died.
- Alternator belt snapped, and alternator went crazy
- Radiator exploded
- Valve cover gasket started leaking oil
- Headgasket started to leak, burning coolant
- Found various nuts that have been stripped, and bolts that are screwed in improperly
- Softtop was vandalized and they tore the glass in the backroof.
- Various parts are just found to be missing, like the front undertray, heatshielding, etc.
At first, some of these small problems were amusing. None of them were debilitating, and were pretty simple to fix. I didn’t like the money that I was spending, but I was learning something about my car. However recently, I’ve just gotten fed up with it.
Every week, I’ve had some issue. Each event I’ve attempted to go to, I haven’t had any fun. It’s left me stranded more time than I’d like to count. Really, I’m not having any fun owning this car.
As as a car person, that’s a problem. I can’t have a car that I hate. This is definately not the business.
So what are my options?
- I don’t have the money to just get a new car right away, (Frankly, because I’ve spent it trying to get my current car running.), but maybe I should try to find a new and different one.
- Miata engines are supposed to be inexpensive, so maybe I should try to find a new motor. With a new motor in the car, I could take the time to put some nice fancy bits on it, if I wanted.
- Or maybe I should just sink more money into this stupid engine and just getting running properly again…
I’m torn in a few different directions on what I should do. What do you guys think? I put a poll below to get your opinion on it.